Sunday, April 27, 2014

In the Spotlight + Mini Challenge... Christi Conley

Hi all! My name is Christi Conley and it’s my turn for the “In the Spotlight” feature and mini-challenge. I adore my Anything but a Card team mates and I could wax poetic about them and their talents for ages, however, this is supposed to be about me. Who knew it would be SO hard to talk about themselves? I feel like this is an assignment for a speech class! I’ll just picture all of you in your underwear and get started.

I am a mom to 4 cats, love to make all kinds of art, read (thank goodness for Kindle!), laugh and have fun. I am 47 years old and I moved from the East Coast to wonderful Aurora, Colorado about 3 years ago with my fur family and my man, Tom, to join my mom and my brother. I enjoy up cycling, recycling, tag sales, garage sales and sales in general. I love to share my art & inspiration on my blog, Art Without Anxiety (why the name? Well, I know new things can intimidate people – myself included - and I wanted to make a place where people could go and learn how to create things in a fun, relaxed atmosphere). I have a quirky sense of humor, which would be very evident if you’ve ever had a conversation with me.

I have a Masters’ Degree in Counseling Psychology but, due to some health issues I am unable to work at this time and I am on Social Security Disability. When I was able to work I have had some interesting jobs, including being a “roadette” for a popular New England band and working on a suicide prevention hotline. I have been playing with crafts since I was a young child – I remember making puppets out of lunch bags, complete with paper napkin hair and clothes, making dollhouses and concocting outrageous games with my best friend.

I found paper crafts back in the late 90’s and took to them like a cat to catnip. I am always amazed at what people can make out of paper and I am working on making more 3D items. There have been a few times where I was unable to make things and when I got all my goodies out of storage this time I joined the many, many talented folks and started a blog and that is truly when my world opened up. I am thrilled to be part of the Anything but a Card Challenges design team and to be able to share all my projects with you!

I have been altering books since they became the rage some years ago. I loved playing in Round Robins and I learned great techniques from books, classes and online groups. I want to share with you a project I made quite a few months ago, when I first started blogging. I plan on making more of these niche books (I have SO many books in my stash to be altered!) and I thoroughly enjoyed making this one. This is my Shell Book and I documented, step by step, how I made it on my blog post HERE.


For my Spotlight Challenge I would like you to make something either with a book (could be a mini book, a stamp of a book, etc), or with actual book pages. Please follow all of the rules set for our regular challenges and have fun! I look forward to seeing your creations. ~ Christi
* * * * * * * * *
 
Please join us next Sunday for a brand new Challenge.
Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration Christi, it was so nice to read about you and get to know you better too. I always enjoy visiting your blog and seeing what you have made. This book is no exception, just beautiful and what a fun challenge to share! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Diane - you have been an inspiration to me, as well! I value your input and appreciate every one of your visits and kind comments :)

      Delete
  2. Christi what a lovely post! I must confess I have never seen catnip but books now that is one of my loves too! I love what you did with your shell book.
    Thank you for sharing yourself with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous post!! Your altered book is awesome!! Love the 'frame' you created and the music piece!
    Isn't it funny how the more we share about ourselves, the more we find common interests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post Christi and I love your shell book. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself.

    ReplyDelete